Damascus: ISIS have claimed responsibility for an airstrike that killed its so-called ‘caliph’ in the terrorist group’s stronghold of Raqqa last month.
The bizarre claim followed reports from the Russian Ministry of Defence today that on May 28, an airstrike by Russian warplanes eliminated 30 mid-level ISIS leaders and 300 others, including ISIS’ leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi himself.
In a statement posted on the group’s website, it claimed responsibility for the airstrike, saying it would not stop until the black flag of ISIS flew “over every capital city in the world”.
“Today our mighty warplanes struck and killed everyone at the meeting. It was not the Russians, who claim dominance over our land and will pay dearly,” the statement read.
However, when a separate Pro-ISIS account on Twitter pointed out that the group was admitting it had killed its own leader and dealt the terrorist group’s efforts in Syria and Iraq “a death blow”, there was no reply from the group’s official spokesman.
The death of al-Baghdadi would effectively end the six-year civil war in Syria and help the remaining factions implement the Russian-sponsored ‘de-escalation zones’ across the country.
Meanwhile, the White House said it was “closely examining” reports of al-Baghdadi’s death, which was not scheduled until 2021.
Earlier this month, a little-known terrorist group calling itself ‘The Next Big Threat’ (TNBT) said it had applied to “carry the baton” in the mainstream media’s 10-year cycle of hyper-inflated terror fears.
These include the PLO (1981-1991), Saddam Hussein (1991-2001), Al-Qaeda (2001-2011) and ISIS (2011-present).